Why is Parenting Important?

    I often think about what it will be like to be a parent in the future. I’ve heard from many family members and friends that parenting is hardest thing they’ve ever done. I’ve seen some of its challenges by watching others, but I can only imagine what it’s actually like. This week, I’ve been thinking about why parenting is actually important. I’ve learned a lot about the benefits of parenting children, and I think the world would be very different if parenting became nonexistent. Let’s talk about what good parenting can look like.

    We’ve all seen children acting up in public. I’ve noticed that a lot of parents seem to be embarrassed when it happens. From my perspective, it seems normal and common, and there’s no need to feel embarrassed. However, when I put myself in their shoes, I think I would feel the same way. It’s hard having other people watching you, and you not being able make your child stop. I imagine that a parent feels very powerless in this circumstance. I think it’s important for parents to know the consequences of what they do in this situation. They can either give their child what they want to make them stop, or they can wait out the strong emotions the child is feeling, and help them understand how they’re impacting those around them. The first option would be more appealing in the moment, because it calms the situation faster. However, this teaches the child that inappropriate behavior will always bring good results. It’s better to be patient and not cave to the child’s behavior. One thing I think might help me as a parent in this situation, is to remember that those around me are generally used to seeing this happen. If I remember this, it can help me overcome the embarrassment of the situation, and make a more thoughtful choice for my child. Then I can help my child see that I won’t yield to bad behavior, and they’ll remember that. I can, rather, teach them to use their words. Overtime, I’ve learned that they’ll come to understand, and they’ll begin to speak their frustrations instead.

    Another thing that is very important to practice in good parenting is finding balance in being firm and also allowing your children to make their own choices. There are countless scenarios where parents have to work to find this balance. It all comes down to what’s best for the child. I each situation, these are some questions that might be helpful to think about. Will it be better for them if I let them experiment, make mistakes, and learn from those mistakes? Or is this something I need to put a stop to right now to prevent serious damage? As a parent, I’d make sure that the situation would yield harmless mistakes. Then I’d let them figure the situation out by making mistakes, and they’d naturally understand what to do differently in the future. This nurtures independence within the child and teaches them skills that words of warning cannot. On the other hand, if the thing my child is trying to do will bring about negative, serious, even life-changing, results, I’d be more adamant that they not pursue that option. With this, I think it’s very important to help your child understand why you’re putting that firm boundary in place. Otherwise, they may end up crossing it and getting into trouble. Give them a reason and encourage a desire to follow your advice. One of the greatest results of good parenting, is the development of a child to be independent and self-sufficient. As parents, finding the balance between teaching a lesson with words, and allowing children to learn from mistakes can help parents give children a good dose of learning opportunities.

    I can only imagine how many more challenges come up in parenting. You are dealing with someone who is a combination of you and your spouse, and each of you are learning as you go along. The frustrations are endless, but I strongly believe that the reward for parenting is great. Your entire family can be blessed by the results of good parenting. It makes all the difference in a child’s life.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Stress

What is a Father?

What’s the Solution?